Just finished watching Mi4. Meh, what a load of bullocks. Tom Cruise is looking old and I’m glad for it. Good yah, pretty, golden boy, time is catching up to you. Though the following did occur to me while watching it. Follow, if I can lead well enough, not that you can’t follow, it’s just that sometimes I can barely follow my thoughts, though I do try and trace back my musings and it frightens me to no end.
- Mi4 was over the top and in the end was very pandering to a perceived audience who may or may not want a happy ending, no not the ejaculatory finish to some massages. Did Tom or any of the writers or producers or anybody involved with Mi4 honestly think that the movie worked?
- what was the criteria of its success in working? Simple dollars and cents, box office? That is a good gage of success to be sure but is it the only one?
- if so then that must be one of the reasons Pop Idol and all its incarnations has become such a phenomenon worldwide. Truly it appeals to a visceral and transcendent element in us all, and I’m not immune to it. I watch too.
- why though? why do I do that, especially when I aim at a higher target with my own work? I wish I could find a measure of success, a fifth of Idol or Mi4′s success would suffice so I could explore my own version of visceral and transcendent.
- How about that? Can I get somebody to ok this transaction? I guess I don’t have enough to barter with, nothing of worth thus far.
- the last scene in Mi4, no the whole film showed who they pandered to as wide an audience as possible. First it was set all over the world, to appeal to as wide a world audience as possible. Russia, Europe, United Arab Emirates, and India and they’ve got a HUGE potential audience,. It’s an action film, it’s got comic relief with the guy from Shaun of the Dead, it’s got, not only one but two hot women, it’s got the biggest movie star in today’s Hollywood and a very topical second lead actor, Hawkeye from Avengers and the lead in Hurt Locker, Jeremy Reiner, and it’s got the guy from Slumdog Millionaire.
- was some studio exec or committee going through a check list on this?
I know this sounds like sour grapes on my end, and it is. I would also produce complete drivel if I was paid enough to do it. Alas I’m not, so I continue in my production of quality that won’t be seen by too many folks. So sad.